Friday, April 18, 2008

Strange is the New Normal

My husband said these words to me last night. I know he said them because lately I've been telling him how strange I feel. Yes, I feel strange sometimes, but I have a good reason. Even though I'm just 37, I have to take what I call "old people" medicine. I take medicine twice a day so my husband doesn't have to put up with my restless legs at night. And, sometimes, I feel strange after taking it. I can't define what I mean by strange, except that I don't feel normal. But, what's normal anymore to me? After all, it seems that strange is the new normal for me. You may wonder where I'm going with this. Well, what if we look at our lives as Christians? Do other people call us "strange" because our lives are radically different from the world? Or do others see us as "normal" because our lives blend in seamlessly with the world? What if strange became the new normal for us because we were living radically different lives? As Paul says in Galatians 1:10 TNIV "Am I now trying to win human approval, or God's approval? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." Let us take notice of Paul's words and live our lives so that people may call us strange. And, in doing so, may we encourage others to live as if strange is the new normal.

No comments:

Blog Archive