Monday, May 5, 2008

The Partner's Wife

My husband just became an audit partner at the accounting firm where he works. I am so proud of him and this accomplishment. He is certainly receiving a great reward for the 15 years of his life that he has given to work as an accountant. Sometimes, though, I selfishly ask myself "What about me?" I am the partner's wife. Shouldn't I get some reward from this as well? Shouldn't I get to drive that new SUV I've had my eye on? Shouldn't we get to build the new house I've wanted? Shouldn't others treat me with more respect because I am "THE PARTNER'S WIFE"? One day while out running errands, I heard the encouraging word of the day on KLOVE. It was from Proverbs 22:1, and it says "A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold." I believe that God was speaking to me that day to remind me that I am His and that He is my reward. When I got home, I looked up the verse on KLOVE's website to read more about it. Their commentary on this verse confirmed that God was speaking to me about this issue. It said "The best way to gain a good reputation is to focus on obeying God, not on earning other's approval. People who honor God win respect." After reading these words, I realize that I'm not going to get respect just because I am the partner's wife. True respect only comes after living an obedient life for God. Maybe now I can focus on obedient living and leave the rest up to God.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Hi Jennifer --

I just sent you an e-mail regarding the navigation bar. I think I've got something for you.

Rachel

Blog Archive