Friday, January 30, 2009

Christ Followers

“Walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.” Colossians 1:10 NKJV

I have been trying to get into a routine of walking for several weeks now. I know that walking will not only help me lose the weight I’ve been trying to shed, but it will improve my overall health and stamina. However, there is one problem…my lack of will power. I just can’t get up in the morning early enough to get the household chores done so that I’ll have time to walk after I take the kids to school.

Sometimes I have the same problem when I’m trying to follow Christ. I just don’t have the will power to keep on going. I know that following Christ will be beneficial for me and for His Kingdom, but there are some days that it’s hard to follow Him. When this happens, I try to re-focus my thoughts and remember what God’s Word says about being a Christ follower.

First, when I realize that I am following the world more than I am following Jesus, I remember that Exodus 23:2a says “Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong.” I examine my thoughts and actions to see if I am following the crowd more than I’m following Jesus.

Next, Psalm 119:166 reminds me to follow God’s commands. “I wait for your salvation, O LORD, and I follow your commands.” I search God’s word for His commands so that I know what He wants me to do.

Finally, I heed the words of Micah 6:8, “He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” I test my thoughts and actions to see if they are in line with God’s requirements.

Over the next month, we will explore each one of these elements of following Christ in depth. Then the last week of February we will see how the life of Paul was changed as he became a Christ follower.

My prayer for you is that you will allow God to work in your life and show you what it means to be a Christ follower. He alone is the Hope for your home.

No comments:

Blog Archive