Friday, June 19, 2009

Talk is Cheap

“May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.” Psalm 19:14 NIV

Twitter, facebook, texting…these are the new ways of communication in the 21st century. We receive “words” from people without ever hearing their true voices. Sometimes these ways of communicating can be very convenient for our busy lifestyles. Other times they can cause miscommunication between two people because of the lack of face-to-face interaction. As we go about our daily business, we need to be aware that even though we may not be communicating through the words we say, the words we write, tweet or text can be just as powerful. We are still “talking” no matter the form of communication we choose to use.

Our focus verse today reminds us that we should strive to please God through what we say and what we think. Talk is cheap if we don’t have actions that back up what we say. Our mouths (or fingers) can say one thing, but if we don’t really believe what we say, our words are meaningless. How many times have we passed someone and said “How are you?” but don’t take the time to really hear their answer. Do we really care how the other person is doing?

One thing I’m working on in my own life is to make time to get to know people on a deeper level. I’m convinced that meaningful relationships with people are the way to encourage each other as well as further the kingdom of God. I want my words and actions to be pleasing to God. If I say I’m going to do something for someone, I want to do it.

I encourage you today to consider how you are using your words. Are you building up people or tearing them down with what you say (or write, tweet, text)? Make encouraging words a priority and see how great an impact you can have on someone’s life.

No comments:

Blog Archive