Friday, July 31, 2009

A Gift of God

“I know there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God.” Ecclesiastes 3:12-13 TNIV


In less than three weeks my children will start back to school. This time of year is always hectic for my family because we are getting ready to go back to school, planning a birthday party for my daughter (her birthday is on the first day of school this year) and somehow trying to fit in an anniversary celebration for my husband and me. Now, this year I have the added “bonus” of working outside the home where my job is also very busy during August.

Instead of throwing my hands up and telling God that I can’t possibly get everything done, I am pulling out some of my old tricks to keep me on track. I know I’ve written on time management before, but it never hurts to be reminded of some useful tips.

First, I’m going to write down on two separate lists all the things that need to be done at home and at work. I list everything from normal daily activities such as laundry to the occasional bigger tasks like removing outgrown clothes from my children’s closets.

Second, I will pray over these lists and ask God to show me if there are any tasks that can be deleted if they are not necessary or delegated to someone else who may be able to handle the task better. I pray that God will show me what’s most important.

Next, I follow God’s command and delete and delegate.

Finally, I schedule each task that is left on days that I know I will have enough time to complete them.

Our verse for today reminds us that finding satisfaction in our work is a gift of God. I pray that you will allow God to help you if you are burdened by too much to do. Accept His gift and be satisfied.

No comments:

Blog Archive