Friday, July 24, 2009

Shining Lights

“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:16 NKJV



Last week on vacation we visited the Gateway Arch in the Jefferson Memorial National Expansion Park in St. Louis. While we were waiting to get in line to go up to the top of the Arch, we decided to explore the gift shop and museum that were at the base of the Arch. I noticed a sign at the information desk that said kids could sign up to be a Junior Ranger. Since we had some time to spare, I went to the desk to inquire what the program was about. The ranger gave me an activity book and pencil for both of my kids. If they completed the activities in the book and brought it back, they would become Junior Rangers.

My daughter took this assignment to heart and immediately set out to finish the activities. When she turned in her completed book, the park ranger gave her a certificate and Junior Ranger badge. Before he presented her these items he admonished her to be a good example to other kids. Since she was wearing a Junior Ranger badge other kids would be looking at her and following her example. He encouraged her to not touch the exhibits or play on the display ropes. My daughter solemnly agreed to this charge. (She’s only 6.) She was mindful the rest of the day that other people were looking at how she acted.

Our focus verse today reminds us that God gives us the same admonition. He wants us to live in such a way that He may be glorified. We don’t have a Junior Ranger badge to identify us as Christians. All we have is the example of our lifestyle. Let us be careful in how we live so that we may bring glory and honor to God.

Father, forgive me for the times when my light does not shine for you. Open my eyes to lifestyle choices I’ve made that may not be pleasing to you.

No comments:

Blog Archive