Friday, October 9, 2009

In All Things

“...pray continually...” 1 Thessalonians 5:17 NIV


Bold

Prayer is an important aspect of a Christian’s life. But, all too often we tend to take this discipline for granted. When everything is rolling along smoothly in life, prayer tends to take a back burner to other things. At least that’s true in my life. However, when life takes an unexpected turn and bad things happen, we drop to our knees begging God to hear our prayer and get us out of our bad situation.


Over the past few weeks I’ve been reminded that God wants us to pray all the time. This is our way of communicating with Him. If we are not in constant communication with Him, we will not know what He wants us to do in our lives. When we talk with God on a regular basis, we are able to discern His will for our lives. We are also able to handle difficult times because we know that God is going to take care of us.


God has placed in my heart several verses from His Word that have led me to remember what happens in my life when I pray.


P-Puts God’s perspective over my own. Isaiah 55:8 says, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.” Prayer helps me to focus on God’s ways and gets my ways out of the picture.


R-Releases me from my burdens. “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7 God wants to shoulder all our burdens. Only He can give us the peace that passes all understanding. Prayer allows me to shift all my burdens to Him.


A-Acknowledges that God’s way is the only way. “In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:6 Only God knows the path I should take. Through prayer He makes this clear to me.


Y-Yields my actions to God’s authority. 2 Chronicles 7:14 reminds us that “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” Confessing my sins and tendency to do my own thing instead of following God draws me into a closer relationship with Him.


Is your prayer life stale and routine? Do you only pray when a crisis arises? Talk to God today and make prayer a priority in your life.

No comments:

Blog Archive